The Top 3 Leg Strengthening Exercises For Runners
If you are reading us right now then there is a high likelihood that you are either running or thinking of starting! Whether you are a competition-level runner or a weekend jogger, there needs to be a common denominator in your training – safety!Besides running workouts, the best way to shield your body and improve yourself is to perform some strengthening exercises! These exercises have multiple benefits because they protect our muscles and joints, have an anabolic effect and improve our performance regardless of sport.
Strengthening exercises for runners must meet 2 basic requirements:
- They must prevent running-related injuries and focus on the runners’ basic needs like leg, glute and hip strengthening.
- They must be multi-joint exercises that everyone can perform regardless of level.
Even a complementary 20- minute workout 3 times a week can be extremely beneficial. Let’s not forget that strength training should support running workouts and not work against them.
Besides since our time is so limited and we may not have the opportunity to hit the gym as often as we’d like, we suggest the use of a CLX band that can prove to be quite beneficial, since it is lightweight, portable, comes in a variety of intensities and everyone can have it in hand so they can perform a quick strengthening session after their running workout!
In the video below we suggest
1. Squats : for strengthening our legs with a focus on quads and glutes (recommended: 3 sets of 10-12 reps)
2. One-legged Deadlifts: To place the focus on our hamstrings and glutes (recommended: 3 sets of 10-12 reps on each leg)
3. Quadruped Leg Extensions: For additional glute work(recommended: 3 sets of 15-20 reps on each leg)
Choose the band with the proper resistance and enjoy your workouts!